- 4 x 440g (14-ounce) packets butter cake mix
- yellow food colouring
- 250 gram (8 ounces) butter
- 3 cup (480g) confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Grease pans; line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) above sides.
- 2Make one cake according to directions on packet. Spread mixture into bar pan; bake bar cake about 40 minutes. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Make remaining three cakes according to directions on packets. Spread mixture into round pan; bake about 1½ hours. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 4Level cake tops so they are the same height. Using pattern from pattern sheet, cut out pattern for round cake. Trim bar cake into number `1', as pictured. Secure cakes to cake board with a little butter cream.
- 5To make butter cream; beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 6Tint butter cream pale yellow; spread all over cakes.
- 7To decorate sides of cakes, measure the height of the cakes and use scissors to trim sour straps to lengths of the same height. Position the trimmed sour straps around the sides of cakes.
- 8Using scissors, cut jubes in half; position, cut-side up, on tops of cakes, overlapping slightly, to cover completely.
Deep 25cm (10-inch) round cake pan; 8cm x 25cm x 7cm (3-inch x 10-inch x 2-inch) bar cake pan; 45cm (18-inch) square cake board.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021