- 180 gram fish roe (from fish department at supermarkets or at fish shops)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 60 gram white bread, about 2 slices, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- cracked pepper, salmon eggs (if desired), pita, to serve
- 1Pulse the roe and garlic in a food processor until blended.
- 2Pour the milk over the bread and let it take up all the moisture. Add to the roe with the sour cream and blend until smooth.
- 3Add lemon zest, juice and 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Blend until smooth and spreadable. Season to taste. Spoon into a serving dish and chill to serve.
- 4To serve, swirl remaining oil over top, and garnish with cracked pepper and salmon eggs, if desired.
- 5For pita wedges, brush bread with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning, such as Greek spices, garlic and herb salt, or an all-purpose seasoning. Bake at 190ºC for 5-8 minutes until puffed and toasted. Cut into long wedges.
Tarama is a salted, dried fish roe that’s whipped up into a intense fish-flavoured dip – hence the name. I find it a bit strong so I’ve added sour cream to mine. The bread seems an unlikely ingredient but it helps absorb the salt. It’s delicious served as a starter with these puffy pita. Finish it off with a little spoonful of jewel-like salmon eggs.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021