- 180 gram fish roe (from fish department at supermarkets or at fish shops)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 60 gram white bread, about 2 slices, crusts removed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- cracked pepper, salmon eggs (if desired), pita, to serve
- 1Pulse the roe and garlic in a food processor until blended.
- 2Pour the milk over the bread and let it take up all the moisture. Add to the roe with the sour cream and blend until smooth.
- 3Add lemon zest, juice and 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Blend until smooth and spreadable. Season to taste. Spoon into a serving dish and chill to serve.
- 4To serve, swirl remaining oil over top, and garnish with cracked pepper and salmon eggs, if desired.
- 5For pita wedges, brush bread with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning, such as Greek spices, garlic and herb salt, or an all-purpose seasoning. Bake at 190ºC for 5-8 minutes until puffed and toasted. Cut into long wedges.
Tarama is a salted, dried fish roe that’s whipped up into a intense fish-flavoured dip – hence the name. I find it a bit strong so I’ve added sour cream to mine. The bread seems an unlikely ingredient but it helps absorb the salt. It’s delicious served as a starter with these puffy pita. Finish it off with a little spoonful of jewel-like salmon eggs.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Stunning smoked salmon recipesToday 1:00pm
- Sensational summer dessertsToday 1:00pm
- Pumpkin pieToday 1:00pm
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020
- Garlic beef stir-fryNov 23, 2020