- 3 medium beetroot (beets) (500g), peeled, cut into 1cm (½in) slices
- 1 large red onion (300g), quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 700 grams (1½lb) orange sweet potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) hazelnut meal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated gruyère cheese
- 1/3 cup (45g) skinless roasted hazelnuts, chopped coarsely
- 40 grams (1½oz) baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (360g) fresh ricotta (see tips)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Place beetroot and onion on one tray. Sprinkle vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the thyme and drizzle with 1 tablespoon each of the oil and the vinegar; season. Roast for 40 minutes or until tender.
- 3Meanwhile, boil or steam sweet potato for 10 minutes or until soft; drain.
- 4Place the sweet potato in a large bowl; mash until smooth. Stir in the hazelnut meal, egg and cheese; season. Spread mixture over remaining tray into a 28cm x 36cm (11¼in x 14½in) rectangle, about 1cm (½in) thick. Bake for 30 minutes or until set and edges are golden.
- 5To make ricotta cream, whisk all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and well combined; season.
- 6Spread ricotta cream over base. Top with roasted beetroot and onion, remaining thyme leaves, the chopped hazelnuts and spinach. Drizzle with remaining oil and vinegar.
You can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. This tart is best served warm or at room temperature. The sweet potato tart base can be made several hours ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Balsamic honey pulled-pork bunsYesterday 10:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 2:00pm
- ColeslawYesterday 2:00pm
- Chinese honey chickenYesterday 2:00pm
- Singapore noodlesYesterday 2:00pm
- Crisp fried chickenYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic white breadMay 25, 2020
- Tuna mornayMay 25, 2020
- 27 delicious ways to use pesto in your recipesMay 25, 2020
- Pea and ham soupMay 24, 2020
- Chicken noodle soupMay 24, 2020
- Lemonade sconesMay 24, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 24, 2020
- Shepherd's pieMay 24, 2020
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinMay 22, 2020
- Lamb osso bucoMay 22, 2020