- 9 sheets filo pastry
- 50 gram butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, halved and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 250 gram cottage cheese (i used one with chives)
- 1/2 cup cream
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- thyme and feta for garnish
- 4 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
- 2 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2Divide the filo into stacks of 3 sheets each. Butter in between the 3 sheets and then line a 23cm tin dish so they cross over and form an even layer. Leave the side with an overhang, then fold and scrunch over to form a rim. Chill until ready to cook.
- 3Heat the oil and any remaining melted butter, then sauté the onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until they start to caramelise. Set aside to cool.
- 4Whisk the eggs in a large jug, stir in the cottage cheese and cream, then season well.
- 5Arrange the sweet onions in the base of the filo tart shell and pour over the egg mixture. Place the tart on a tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden and set in the centre.
- 6Garnish the tart with crumbled feta and fresh thyme.
- 7For the carrot salad, toss the carrots with the sultanas, seeds and onion, then dress with the combined oil, lemon juice and honey. Season with cracked pepper.
This makes a lovely, easy meal that’s simple but satisfying. The carrot salad adds a lemony hit and looks gorgeous. I’ve used cottage cheese and then topped off my tart with feta, but feel free to use ricotta and/or goat’s cheese too. You can add other cooked vegetables, such as diced pumpkin or kumara, or mix in grated courgette or baby spinach leaves.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Thermomix Swedish meatballs with gravy and horseradish mashYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer puddingYesterday 1:00pm