- 3 (1.2kg) whole corn cobs
- 1 small_piece small red onion (100g)
- 1 kilogram spinach
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour cooking-oil spray
- 6 (390g) rindless bacon slices
- 250 gram cherry truss tomatoes
- 1Discard husk and silk from corn, cut kernels from cob. Peel and coarsely chop onion. Trim spinach, wash and drain leaves.
- 2Reserve 1 cup corn kernels. Process remaining corn, onion, eggs and parsley until coarsely chopped, transfer to large bowl. Stir in sifted flours and reserved corn kernels. Season.
- 3Preheat oven to 120°C (100°C fan forced).
- 4Spray large heated frying pan with cooking oil, cook bacon until crisp. Place on oven tray.
- 5Cook tomatoes in same heated pan until skins start to split, place on tray with bacon. Wipe out pan. Transfer tray to oven to keep warm.
- 6Spray same heated pan with cooking oil, working in batches, drop ¼ cup batter into pan for each fritter. Using spatula, spread batter into rounds, cook about 2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer fritters to tray in oven to keep warm. Repeat to make 12 fritters, wiping out pan between batches.
- 7Cook spinach, in batches, in same heated pan until wilted. Drain off excess liquid, season.
- 8Serve fritters with spinach, bacon and tomatoes.
Made from fresh corn, these fritters, served with spinach, bacon and tomatoes, are also a great lunch dish or casual dinner. But for a late breakfast they can’t be beaten. For breakfast they should be cooked just before they’re served, but cold corn fritters are excellent picnic food, so make a few more than you need and keep them for later.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm