Sweet beef curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 gram blade steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 chat potatoes, quartered
- 1 apple, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 2 cup stock or water
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- chopped parsley, to serve
- pappadums, to serve
Sweet beef curry
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Brown meat, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Using same pan, reduce heat to medium and saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in curry paste and cook 1 minute.
- 2Add vegetables and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring. Return meat to pan with apple and sultanas.
- 3Stir in stock, vinegar and sugar. Season to taste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour, until meat is tender.
- 4Gradually add cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 3 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with pappadums.
Substitute beef for lamb leg or mince, celery with frozen peas or green beans (add at the end of cooking time).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022