Sweet beef curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 gram blade steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 chat potatoes, quartered
- 1 apple, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 2 cup stock or water
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- chopped parsley, to serve
- pappadums, to serve
Sweet beef curry
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Brown meat, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Using same pan, reduce heat to medium and saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender. Stir in curry paste and cook 1 minute.
- 2Add vegetables and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring. Return meat to pan with apple and sultanas.
- 3Stir in stock, vinegar and sugar. Season to taste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour, until meat is tender.
- 4Gradually add cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 3 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with pappadums.
Substitute beef for lamb leg or mince, celery with frozen peas or green beans (add at the end of cooking time).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty tagine recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- Jam roll puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020
- Peach galetteMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Banana cake recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020