Summer prawn curry
- 1 kilogram uncooked king prawns
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 1 stick fresh lemon grass, white part only, chopped finely
- 2 medium (340g) red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium (200g) green capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup (40g) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon tamarind purée
- 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 fresh long green chillies, seeded, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon water, extra
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- steamed basmati rice, pappadams, to serve
Summer prawn curry
- 1Shell and devein the prawns, leaving the tails intact.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large deep frying pan over high heat. Cook the prawns, in batches, for about 1½ minutes on each side or until golden and almost cooked through. Transfer prawns to a plate.
- 3Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil to pan; cook lemon grass and onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in garlic and turmeric; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add capsicum, coconut, tamarind, ginger and the water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated.
- 4Meanwhile, blend or process coriander, mint, chilli and juice until chopped finely. Add the extra water; blend to form a smooth paste.
- 5Return prawns to pan with fish sauce; simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute or until hot. Remove from heat; spoon coriander purée over curry.
- 6Serve the curry with steamed rice and pappadams.
You can use any firm white fish fillet or salmon fillets in this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022