This recipe is featured in our Sugar Free Living by Natvia magazine. On sale now for $9.99 at selected newsagents and supermarkets.
- 1½ cups (330g) Natvia
- 350g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (50g) cacao powder
- 1¾ cups (260g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Natvia
- 600g sour cream
- 400g dark (sugar-free) chocolate, melted (see Tips)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two deep 20cm round cake pans and line bases with baking paper.
- 2Blend Natvia in a high-speed blender until the consistency of icing sugar.
- 3Beat butter, vanilla and powdered Natvia in a large bowl with an electric mixer for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in 4 egg yolks, one at a time, until just combined. Add sifted cacao, followed by remaining 4 egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour, soda and buttermilk. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- 4Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into cake mixture in two batches. Divide mixture between pans.
- 5Bake cakes for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover cakes with foil during the last 15 minutes of cooking time to avoid over-browning. Cool cakes in pan.
- 6Make chocolate icing (see below). Reserve half to cover top and side of cake.
- 7Cut each cake horizontally into three equal layers. Place one layer on a plate and spread with one-fifth of the icing. Repeat layering with cake and icing, finishing with a cake layer. Spread reserved icing over top and side of cake.
- 8Blend Natvia in a spice grinder until the consistency of icing sugar. Whisk remaining ingredients with powdered Natvia in a small bowl until smooth.
We used a sugar-free dark (70% cocoa solids) chocolate. Sugar-free chocolate (sweetened naturally with stevia) is available in the health-food section of most supermarkets. Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and stand at room temperature.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019