A fabulous way to use up summer berries. To add an extra special touch we've included crushed pink peppercorns in the pastry to a spicy touch.
Looking for more sweet pie recipes?
- ¾ cup (110g) plain flour
- ¾ cup (90g) rye flour
- ½ cup (60g) almond meal
- 175 grams chilled butter, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (110g) raw caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons crushed dried pink peppercorns
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon iced water, approximately
- 500 grams small strawberries
- 250 grams fresh raspberries
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoons raw caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 125 grams fresh raspberries, extra
- 1Sift plain and rye flours into a large bowl; stir in half the almond meal. Rub in butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in ⅓ cup of the sugar and 2 teaspoons of the peppercorns. Add egg and enough of the iced water to make ingredients just come together. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Enclose in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F; place a large oven tray in the oven while preheating.
- 3Roll dough between sheets of baking paper into a 30cm (12-inch) round. Sprinkle pastry with remaining almond meal, leaving a 4cm (1½-inch) border.
- 4Combine strawberries, raspberries and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Pile fruit on almond meal on pastry. Fold pastry edge over filling, pleating and pinching to create a rustic edge. Brush pastry edge with extra egg; sprinkle with the extra sugar and remaining peppercorns.
- 5Slide pie, on baking paper, onto preheated tray. Bake for 35 minutes or until pastry is browned. Cover loosely with foil if pastry is over-browning before it is crisp.
- 6Serve pie topped with extra raspberries.
The rye flour and almond meal give a more tender, crumbly texture to the pastry.do ahead Pastry can be made to the end of step 1 a day ahead.serving suggestion Serve with the raspberry ripple yoghurt mixture from Raspberry Ripple Yoghurt Pops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut jam dropsToday 12:49am
- Corn and quinoa chowderYesterday 10:28pm
- Gluten free chickpea schnitzels and yoghurt sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mexican pulled porkYesterday 2:00pm
- Provencal beef stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 sensational slow-cooked pork mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken saltimboccaYesterday 6:43am
- Healthy soup recipesYesterday 6:23am
- Slow-cooker honey mustard chickenYesterday 5:25am
- One-pot rice and chickenYesterday 4:29am
- Yoghurt wraps with pick-your-protein scrambleMay 16, 2022
- Quattro formaggio pizzaMay 16, 2022
- Chilli beans with tomato sauceMay 16, 2022
- Chinese honey chickenMay 16, 2022