- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 kg lamb riblets
- 1 medium orange (240g), halved crossways
- 55 grams piece fresh young ginger, unpeeled, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled, bruised
- 3 shallots (75g), unpeeled, halved
- 2 fresh long red chillies, chopped coarsely
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3 star anise, cracked
- ½ cup (125ml) chinese cooking wine (shao hsing)
- ½ cup (125ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
- ⅓ cup (120g) honey
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 bunch gai lan (200g)
- ½ cup (75g) roasted unsalted cashews, chopped coarsely
- 1Heat oil in a large flameproof dish over medium-high heat. Cook ribs, in batches, for 4 minutes or until browned.
- 2Pour off any excess fat from dish (see tips). Return ribs to dish with orange, ginger, garlic, shallots, chilli, cinnamon, star anise, cooking wine, soy sauce, honey, stock and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 1½ hours, turning once halfway through, or until ribs are tender.
- 3Remove ribs from dish; cover to keep warm. Strain solids from liquid; discard. Return liquid to same dish; place over high heat. Boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until dark and sticky. Return ribs to dish, stir to coat in sauce and heat through.
- 4Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave gai lan until tender; drain.
- 5Serve ribs with gai lan, topped with cashews.
Rendered lamb fat can be strained through a fine metal sieve into a heatproof container and refrigerated for up to 3 months for use in cooking later. Try and find young ginger for this recipe as older ginger skin can be a little bitter. Gai lan is available from Asian supermarkets; you can use any asian green.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021