Sticky date toffee pops
- 100 gram butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 24 (480g) fresh dates
- 2 cup (340g) firmly packed butter cake crumbs
- 24 lollipop or paddle pop sticks
- 2 cup (440g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
Sticky date toffee pops
- 1Melt butter in a small saucepan, add brown sugar, stir to dissolve. Bring mixture to the boil, add cream, cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and golden brown. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl, refrigerate 2 hours or until just firm.
- 2Meanwhile, using a small knife, cut a slit in the top of each date. Using the tip of the knife, remove seeds without piercing the skin of the dates.
- 3Add cake crumbs to the large bowl with cold caramel mixture. Using hands, mix well. Fill a piping bag, fitted with a 1.5cm (¾-inch) tube, with cake mixture. Pipe small amounts of cake mixture into dates. Push sticks into open end of dates, pushing halfway up the length of each date. Lightly press each filled date between hands to flatten slightly. Place dates on a baking paper-lined tray, freeze for 30 minutes.
- 4Combine half the white sugar and half the water in a small saucepan, stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns a toffee colour. Remove from heat, allow bubbles to subside. Remove half of the dates from the freezer. Working quickly dip one date at a time into toffee to coat completely. Stand toffee-dipped dates upright in a styrofoam block until set. Repeat with remaining sugar, water and dates.
Once they are toffee-coated, don't refrigerate the pops, as the toffee will dissolve. Serve pops within 2 hours of making.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021