Sticky date toffee pops
- 100 gram butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 24 (480g) fresh dates
- 2 cup (340g) firmly packed butter cake crumbs
- 24 lollipop or paddle pop sticks
- 2 cup (440g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
Sticky date toffee pops
- 1Melt butter in a small saucepan, add brown sugar, stir to dissolve. Bring mixture to the boil, add cream, cook, stirring, about 2 minutes or until mixture is smooth and golden brown. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl, refrigerate 2 hours or until just firm.
- 2Meanwhile, using a small knife, cut a slit in the top of each date. Using the tip of the knife, remove seeds without piercing the skin of the dates.
- 3Add cake crumbs to the large bowl with cold caramel mixture. Using hands, mix well. Fill a piping bag, fitted with a 1.5cm (¾-inch) tube, with cake mixture. Pipe small amounts of cake mixture into dates. Push sticks into open end of dates, pushing halfway up the length of each date. Lightly press each filled date between hands to flatten slightly. Place dates on a baking paper-lined tray, freeze for 30 minutes.
- 4Combine half the white sugar and half the water in a small saucepan, stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns a toffee colour. Remove from heat, allow bubbles to subside. Remove half of the dates from the freezer. Working quickly dip one date at a time into toffee to coat completely. Stand toffee-dipped dates upright in a styrofoam block until set. Repeat with remaining sugar, water and dates.
Once they are toffee-coated, don't refrigerate the pops, as the toffee will dissolve. Serve pops within 2 hours of making.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020