Sticky date slice
- 1 1/3 cup (185g) coarsely chopped seeded dried dates
- 1 1/3 cup (330ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 60 gram butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 60 gram butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or treacle
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened (heavy) cream
Sticky date slice
- 1Preheat oven to 180ºC/350°F. Grease 24cm x 32cm (9½-inch x 13-inch) swiss roll pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Combine dates and the water in medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Remove from heat; stir in soda, stand 5 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour, then date mixture. Pour mixture into pan. Bake about 20 minutes. Cool slice in pan.
- 4To make caramel topping, stir sugar and the water in small saucepan, over low heat, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and syrup. Transfer mixture to small bowl; add ¼ cup (60ml) of the cream. Beat with electric mixer until thickened slightly; cool. Beat remaining cream in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; beat in caramel mixture until firm peaks form. Refrigerate until required.
- 5Cut slice into squares; top each square with a dollop of caramel topping.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020