If you just can't get enough scones we have a full collection of sweet and savoury scones for you to try.
Sticky date scones
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dried dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 60 gram butter, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- butterscotch sauce
- whipped cream, to serve
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 75 gram butter
- 300 millilitre cream
Sticky date scones
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Grease and line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine dates, soda and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat, stand for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Add milk; blend or process until smooth.
- 2Place flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 3Make a well at centre. Add egg and date mixture. Using a round-bladed knife, stir until dough just comes together. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Press dough to 3cm thick. Using a 5.50m round pastry cutter, cut dough into rounds. Gently press leftover dough together and repeat to make a total of 15 scones. Place scones, side by side, on prepared tray.
- 4Bake for 15 minutes or until scones sound hollow when tapped lightly.
- 5Meanwhile, to make butterscotch sauce, combine sugar, butter and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- 6Serve scones with sauce and cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021