- 1 1/4 cup (200g) seeded dried dates
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150 grams) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand 5 minutes.
- 3Blend or process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and flour; blend or process until just combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile, stir butterscotch sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 6Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019