- 1 1/4 cup (200g) seeded dried dates
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150 grams) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand 5 minutes.
- 3Blend or process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and flour; blend or process until just combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile, stir butterscotch sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 6Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021