- 1 1/4 cup (200g) seeded dried dates
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150 grams) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand 5 minutes.
- 3Blend or process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and flour; blend or process until just combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile, stir butterscotch sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 6Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeYesterday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019