- 1 1/4 cup (200g) seeded dried dates
- 1 1/4 cup (310 millilitres) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 gram (1½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (150 grams) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 millilitres pouring cream
- 80 gram (2½ ounces) butter
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand 5 minutes.
- 3Blend or process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and flour; blend or process until just combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake 1 hour. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile, stir butterscotch sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 6Serve cake warm with butterscotch sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020