We added a delicious crunch to the classic sticky date by topping it with roasted nuts. But don't forget a generous pour of salted caramel sauce, too!
If you just can't get enough of sticky date, try our sticky date dessert collection.
Sticky date pudding
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) seeded dried dates, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 90 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) walnuts
- 1/3 cup (40g) pecan
Salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 100 grams butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Sticky date pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and flour to mixture; process until just combined. Spread mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with nuts.
- 4Bake pudding for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand pudding in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- 5Salted caramel sauce. Stir ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt.
- 6Drizzle the sauce on top of hot pudding with ¼up cup of the salted caramel sauce. Serve pudding with remaining sauce.
Both the pudding and the sauce can be made a day ahead. Store separately, covered, in the fridge. The pudding can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost and warm individual slices in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupYesterday 1:00pm
- Fresh tomato pizzettasYesterday 1:00pm
- 30 sweet slice recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeJan 19, 2022