Sticky date pudding
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) seeded dried dates,
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 90 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) walnuts
- 1/3 cup (40g) pecan
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 100 grams butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Sticky date pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and flour to mixture; process until just combined. Spread mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with nuts.
- 4Bake pudding for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand pudding in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- 5Salted caramel sauce. Stir ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt.
- 6Drizzle the sauce on top of hot pudding with ¼up cup of the salted caramel sauce. Serve pudding with remaining sauce.
Both the pudding and the sauce can be made a day ahead. Store separately, covered, in the fridge. The pudding can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost and warm individual slices in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021