Sticky date pudding
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) seeded dried dates,
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 90 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (35g) walnuts
- 1/3 cup (40g) pecan
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 100 grams butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Sticky date pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Combine dates and the water in a medium heatproof bowl. Stir in soda; stand for 5 minutes.
- 3Process date mixture with butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and flour to mixture; process until just combined. Spread mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with nuts.
- 4Bake pudding for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand pudding in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack.
- 5Salted caramel sauce. Stir ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt.
- 6Drizzle the sauce on top of hot pudding with ¼up cup of the salted caramel sauce. Serve pudding with remaining sauce.
Both the pudding and the sauce can be made a day ahead. Store separately, covered, in the fridge. The pudding can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost and warm individual slices in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020