- 1¼ cups (175g) coarsely chopped dried pitted dates
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup (250ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 cups (200g) walnuts, roasted
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1Place dates in a small bowl with ½ cup hot water; soak for 15 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 3Melt 20g of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat; stir in ½ cup of the maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a simmer; cook for 2 minutes or until frothy and golden brown. Add walnuts; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Transfer mixture to oven tray, then, working quickly, spread walnuts in a single layer.
- 4Bake walnuts for 7 minutes or until caramelised. Cool on oven tray, then break into small pieces.
- 5Sift flour, bicarbonate soda and remaining salt into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre, gradually whisk in eggs, soaked dates with any soaking liquid, and 1 cup (250ml) room-temperature tap water to form a smooth pouring consistency.
- 6Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour 1/3 cups batter into pan, cooking two pancakes at a time. Cook pancakes for 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn; cook other side for a further 2 minutes or until browned lightly. Remove pancakes from pan; cover to keep warm. Repeat cooking in batches with butter and remaining batter to make a total of 8 pancakes.
- 7Wipe pan clean; return to heat. Add remaining butter, heat until sizzling. Add remaining ½ cup maple syrup; cook until golden and thickened slightly to a caramel.
- 8Serve pancakes topped with candied walnuts and caramel.
Pancakes suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Blueberry muffinsYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Char kway teowOct 27, 2020
- Mango recipes for dessertOct 27, 2020
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, feta and chickpea saladOct 27, 2020
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020
- EggnogOct 27, 2020