- 1¼ cups (175g) coarsely chopped dried pitted dates
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup (250ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 cups (200g) walnuts, roasted
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 1Place dates in a small bowl with ½ cup hot water; soak for 15 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 3Melt 20g of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat; stir in ½ cup of the maple syrup and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Bring to a simmer; cook for 2 minutes or until frothy and golden brown. Add walnuts; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Transfer mixture to oven tray, then, working quickly, spread walnuts in a single layer.
- 4Bake walnuts for 7 minutes or until caramelised. Cool on oven tray, then break into small pieces.
- 5Sift flour, bicarbonate soda and remaining salt into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre, gradually whisk in eggs, soaked dates with any soaking liquid, and 1 cup (250ml) room-temperature tap water to form a smooth pouring consistency.
- 6Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Pour 1/3 cups batter into pan, cooking two pancakes at a time. Cook pancakes for 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn; cook other side for a further 2 minutes or until browned lightly. Remove pancakes from pan; cover to keep warm. Repeat cooking in batches with butter and remaining batter to make a total of 8 pancakes.
- 7Wipe pan clean; return to heat. Add remaining butter, heat until sizzling. Add remaining ½ cup maple syrup; cook until golden and thickened slightly to a caramel.
- 8Serve pancakes topped with candied walnuts and caramel.
Pancakes suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Healthy meal ideas when you don't know what to makeYesterday 5:27am
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019