- 3 3/4 cup (600g) coarsely chopped dates
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 180 gram butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cup (450g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten lightly
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (60g) coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 cup (400g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 600 millilitre thickened cream
- 375 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 1Preheat the oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced). Grease a 25cm x 35cm rectangular baking dish. Line base and sides with baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above edges of dish.
- 2Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, add soda; stand for 5 minutes. Blend or process until smooth.
- 3Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between each addition. Stir in the sifted flour and date mixture.
- 4Spread into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with the nuts. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour or until cooked when tested. Stand cake for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- 5Meanwhile, to make butterscotch sauce; combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 6Brush surface of hot cake with 1/4 cup of butterscotch sauce, then serve with remaining sauce.
This recipe can be made two days ahead. Close to serving, wrap cake in foil and warm through in a moderately slow oven for approximately 20 minutes, or microwave individual servings. Suitable to freeze. Butterscotch sauce suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021