Steamed plum pudding
- 2 cup (300g) mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) dried seedless dates, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (85g) raisins, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 75 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 3/4 cup (110g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon dark rum
Steamed plum pudding
- 1Wash combined fruit under cold water, drain. Combine fruit, the water, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir over high heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl, stir in soda, cool.
- 2Stir eggs, sifted dry ingredients and rum into fruit mixture.
- 3Grease a 1.25-litre (5-cup) pudding steamer, spoon mixture into steamer. Top with pleated baking paper and foil, secure with kitchen string or steamer lid.
- 4Place steamer basket in 8-litre (32-cup) pressure cooker, add 2 cups (500ml) water. Place pudding steamer on a tea towel, use tea towel to lower steamer into basket in cooker. Fold tea towel overhang over top of steamer, secure lid of cooker. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure, cook 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 5Release pressure using the quick release method, remove lid. Remove steamer from cooker, stand 10 minutes before turning out to serve.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer's instructions before using. This recipe is suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021