- 30 grams (1oz) butter
- 1 large onion (200g), sliced thickly
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (70g) wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons barley malt syrup
- 2 250g (8oz) thick-cut sirloin steaks
- 150 grams (4½oz) cheddar, grated
- 8 x 1cm (½in) thick slices sourdough
- 1/3 cup (100g) aïoli
- 1 cup (50g) firmly packed baby rocket (arugula)
- 1Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook onions, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar; cook, for a further 3 minutes or until soft and caramelised. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2Stir mustard and malt syrup together in a small bowl.
- 3Heat a heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Season steaks well. Using tongs, hold both steaks together. Hold, fat-side down, in the pan, for 30 seconds or until fat renders (melts). Place steaks on their side, reduce heat to medium; cook for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer steaks to a plate, brush with malted mustard sauce and cover with foil; rest for 5 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven grill to high. Arrange bread slices on an oven tray.
- 5Toast bread for 1 minute or until golden. Remove 4 slices from tray; reserve. Turn remaining slices over and sprinkle with cheddar, grill 2 minutes or until melted and bubbling.
- 6Slice steaks lengthways. Spread aïoli on untoasted side of reserved bread slices. Top with rocket, onions, steak and a little
of the malted mustard, topping with the melted cheese toast. Serve immediately with remaining malted mustard sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019