- 125 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
- 1 egg white
- 12 paddle pop sticks
- 180 gram individually wrapped sugar-free fruit drops
- hundreds and thousands
- 1Beat butter, rind, essence, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until combined. Stir in sifted flour, in two batches.
- 2Knead dough on floured surface until smooth; roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, using rolling pin, gently tap wrapped lollies to crush slightly. Unwrap lollies; separate by colour into small bowls.
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 5Using 10.5cm round cutter, cut 12 rounds from dough. Place about 5cm apart on oven trays.
- 6Place 2.5cm, 5cm and 7.5cm cutters starting from the centre of each 10.5cm round. Remove dough between 5cm and 7.5cm cutters; remove dough from centre of 2.5cm cutter. Brush half the remaining dough with egg white, sprinkle with hundreds and thousands. Slide one paddle pop stick under each cookie.
- 7Bake about 10 minutes. Remove trays from oven, fill gaps with crushed lollies; bake further 5 minutes. Cool on trays.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 10 sweet festive favouritesToday 4:00am
- How to make honeycomb from scratchToday 12:29am
- Apple pieToday 12:29am
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Fresh apricot jamYesterday 8:00pm
- PikeletsYesterday 5:00pm
- Vegetarian pasta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealYesterday 1:00pm
- Green saladYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 brilliant blinis to share with friendsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky date puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Panettone tiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato bakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast recipes for Christmas morningYesterday 1:00pm