St Clement’s citrus cake
- 20 gram butter, softened, to grease
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 medium (240g) orange
- 1 medium (140g) lemon
- 1 medium (100g) mandarin
- 250 gram butter, softened, extra
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (55g) fine semolina
- 2 medium (480g) oranges
- 2 medium (280g) lemons
- 2 medium (200g) mandarins
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
St Clement’s citrus cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan- forced). Liberally brush a 22cm (2-litre/ 8-cup capacity) bundt or baba pan with very soft butter. Dust the inside with the plain flour to coat; tap out the excess flour.
- 2Finely grate the rind from the fruit. Squeeze the juice from the fruit. Reserve the juices for the syrup.
- 3Beat the extra butter, rinds and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the sifted flour and semolina. Spread the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- 4Bake the cake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand the cake for 5 minutes before turning out onto a piece of baking paper on a wire rack over a tray.
- 5Meanwhile to make the syrup; using a zesting tool, remove the rind from the oranges and lemons in long thin strips. Squeeze all the fruit. Combine the rinds, juices, reserved juices from the cake and the sugar in a medium saucepan; stir over heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes.
- 6Pour 1½ cups of the hot syrup over the hot cake. Top with the rind. Stand the cake for at least 30 minutes.
- 7Serve the cake, warm or cooled, with the remaining syrup and whipped cream, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesToday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeToday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardToday 2:44am
- Cottage pieYesterday 6:00pm
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish bread with lamb and eggsYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 perfect pasta bakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Italian chicken schnitzelYesterday 2:00pm
- 21 delicious chicken meals to make in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Shortbread buttonsYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 sensational schnitzelsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer Nutella turnoversYesterday 2:00pm
- Classic beef lasagneYesterday 2:00pm