- 1 large kumara (orange sweet potato) (500g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium red onion (170g), cut into thin wedges cooking-oil spray
- 200 grams baby spinach leaves
- 500 grams firm fresh ricotta
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 80 grams butter, chopped
- 16 sage leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C.
- 2Place kumara and onion on a baking-paper-lined oven tray. Spray with cooking oil; season. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 3Meanwhile, briefly cook spinach in a large saucepan of boiling salted water; drain. Refresh in iced water; drain. Squeeze excess water from spinach; chop finely. Place spinach in a large bowl with ricotta, parmesan, flour, egg and oil; season, then mix well.
- 4Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Shape level tablespoons of spinach mixture into ovals. Drop gnocchi, in batches, into boiling water; cook 1-2 minutes or until gnocchi float to the surface. Using a slotted spoon, remove immediately; drain well.
- 5Cook butter and gnocchi in a large frying pan over medium heat until butter and gnocchi have browned. Add sage; remove from heat.
- 6Stir kumara and onion into gnocchi mixture to serve.
Blanching the spinach in step 3 prevents the spinach from overcooking. Make sure you use firm fresh ricotta otherwise the gnocchi may not hold together. It is available from the deli section of supermarkets. Gnocchi can be prepared several hours ahead. Store, covered, in the fridge. Cook just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021