- 1/2 cup (125ml) chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 fresh small red chilli, sliced thinly
- 240 gram english spinach
- 227 gram canned water chestnuts, drained, chopped finely
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 4 centimetre piece fresh ginger (20g), grated finely
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 24 gow gee wrappers (230g)
- 450 gram firm tofu, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Make spicy dressing. Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Place spinach in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; drain immediately. Refresh under cold running water; drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze excess water from spinach; chop finely.
- 3Combine spinach, water chestnuts, onion, ginger, sauce and egg in a bowl. Place 2 teaspoons of the mixture in the centre of a wrapper, leaving a border; brush the edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling; pleat the edge to seal. Repeat with remaining spinach mixture and wrappers.
- 4Cook dumplings in a large saucepan of boiling water, in three batches, for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Drain; keep warm.
- 5Meanwhile, pat tofu dry with paper towel. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook tofu for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- 6Divide tofu and dumplings among bowls; drizzle with dressing, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander.
Chinese black vinegar is made from fermented glutinous rice, is mildly acidic and slightly sweet, and is used as a condiment. It is available from Asian food stores (the Chinkiang brand is one of the best). You can use rice vinegar instead. Pleating the edge of the dumplings can be a little tricky. You can simply press the edges together to ensure they are well sealed, they will be just as tasty.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019