- 1/2 cup (125ml) chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 fresh small red chilli, sliced thinly
- 240 gram english spinach
- 227 gram canned water chestnuts, drained, chopped finely
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 4 centimetre piece fresh ginger (20g), grated finely
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 24 gow gee wrappers (230g)
- 450 gram firm tofu, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Make spicy dressing. Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Place spinach in a medium heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; drain immediately. Refresh under cold running water; drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze excess water from spinach; chop finely.
- 3Combine spinach, water chestnuts, onion, ginger, sauce and egg in a bowl. Place 2 teaspoons of the mixture in the centre of a wrapper, leaving a border; brush the edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling; pleat the edge to seal. Repeat with remaining spinach mixture and wrappers.
- 4Cook dumplings in a large saucepan of boiling water, in three batches, for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Drain; keep warm.
- 5Meanwhile, pat tofu dry with paper towel. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook tofu for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- 6Divide tofu and dumplings among bowls; drizzle with dressing, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander.
Chinese black vinegar is made from fermented glutinous rice, is mildly acidic and slightly sweet, and is used as a condiment. It is available from Asian food stores (the Chinkiang brand is one of the best). You can use rice vinegar instead. Pleating the edge of the dumplings can be a little tricky. You can simply press the edges together to ensure they are well sealed, they will be just as tasty.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019