Spicy pear steamed pudding
- 4 pears (920g)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 100 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar, extra
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 4 x 5cm strips orange rind
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) water
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
Spicy pear steamed pudding with orange syrup
- 1Peel, quarter and core pears; chop coarsely. Place in large saucepan with sugar, rind and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until pears soften. Cool to room temperature.
- 2Beat butter and extra sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour, soda, ginger and spice, then milk and cold pear mixture.
- 3Pour mixture into greased 1.5-litre (6-cup) pudding steamer. Cover with pleated baking paper and foil; secure with lid or string.
- 4Place pudding in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer; cover pan with tightfitting lid. Boil 1½ hours, replenishing water as necessary to maintain level. Stand pudding 5 minutes before turning onto serving plate.
- 5Meanwhile, to make orange syrup, stir ingredients in small saucepan over heat until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Discard spices.
- 6Serve pudding topped with orange syrup.
When they're in season, this pudding also works well with quince. Prepare 4 small quince (800g) as for the pears in step 1, cooking them for 30 minutes until softened.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022