- 1 medium orange (240g)
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup (40g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup (120g) skinless hazelnuts, roasted
- ½ cup (50g) walnut halves, roasted
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, roasted lightly
- ½ cup (125g) coarsely chopped glacé apricots
- ½ cup (75g) dried sour cherries
- ½ cup (110g) naked ginger (see tips)
- 100 grams white chocolate, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Line base and side of a 20cm (8-inch) springform pan with baking paper.
- 2Remove rind from orange with a zester. (Or, peel orange thinly with a vegetable peeler, avoiding any white pith. Cut rind into long thin strips.)
- 3Sift flour and spices into a large bowl. Stir in orange rind, almond meal, nuts, fruit, ginger and chocolate.
- 4Stir caster sugar, honey and the water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until a sugar thermometer reaches 116°C/240°F. Add sugar syrup to flour mixture; stir well. Press mixture firmly into pan; smooth surface.
- 5Bake panforte for 45 minutes or until it comes away slightly from the edge of pan. Leave panforte in pan overnight to cool. Just before serving, dust with icing sugar. Cut into thin wedges.
Panforte can be made up to 2 weeks ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature.You can use dried unsweetened cranberries instead of sour cherries. Naked ginger is sweetened uncrystallised ginger. Roasting nuts brings out the flavour. Spread nuts onto an oven tray, roast in 180°C/350°F oven for 5 minutes, or until nuts are golden brown (stir nuts once during roasting for even cooking).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupYesterday 1:00pm
- Fresh tomato pizzettasYesterday 1:00pm
- 30 sweet slice recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeJan 19, 2022