- 375 gram firm tofu
- 2 teaspoon chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon roasted, salted peanuts, chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup (250ml) light coconut milk
- vegetable oil, for brushing
Pineapple cucumber salad
- 250 gram pineapple, sliced thinly
- 2 lebanese cucumber
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 fresh long red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber salad
- 1Place tofu on a small wire rack over a tray, top with a second tray (or plate); weight with cans of food. Stand 30 minutes or until tofu is a firmer texture.
- 2Meanwhile, make bao. Cut eight 12cm squares from baking paper. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add coconut milk; stir with a fork until just combined. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently for 1 minute or until smooth. Divide dough into eight pieces; roll out each piece into a 15cm long oval. Brush half of each oval lightly with oil; fold in half crossways. Place each bao on a square of baking paper; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Cook bao in two batches in a large steamer over a saucepan of simmering water for 8 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3Cut pressed tofu crossways into 8 slices. Dust with five spice and chilli; season with salt. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat; cook tofu, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
- 4Spread bao with mayonnaise; fill with tofu, salad and peanuts.
- 5Make the pineapple and cucumber salad. Combine ingredients in a medium bowl; season with salt.
You can press the tofu up to a day ahead; keep covered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Roast pork with apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 1:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- MayonnaiseYesterday 1:00pm
- 32 amazing ways with applesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Jerk chickensYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Ice blocks and popsicles to cool you downOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021