- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 french-trimmed lamb shanks (800g)
- 1 small brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- pinch of saffron threads
- 400 gram canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon dried currants
- 180 gram persian feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon finely chipped preserved lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon roasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C.
- 2Heat oil in a large flameproof baking dish; cook lamb until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Cook onion in same dish; cook, stirring, until softened. Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Return lamb to dish with tomatoes, stock and currants; bring to the boil. Cover dish; cook, in oven, 2½ hours or until lamb is almost falling off the bone. Season to taste.
- 4Skim and discard excess fat from surface of sauce. Serve lamb and sauce topped with feta, preserved lemon rind, almonds and coriander.
Persian feta is a soft, creamy cheese marinated in a blend of olive oil, garlic, herbs and spices. It is available from most delicatessens and major supermarkets. This recipe can be made a day ahead to the end of step 3. Cover, refrigerate until required. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022