- 1 1/2 cup (300g) basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lamb leg steaks (450g), sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (75g) coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 2 1/4 cup (560ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (35g) roasted unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup (280g) yoghurt
- 1Cover rice in a medium bowl with about 1 litre (4 cups) cold water; stand 30 minutes, drain well.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion in same pan, stirring, 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, bay leaves and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in rice. Add apricots and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, over low heat, 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4Stir lamb into pilaf; season to taste. Sprinkle with nuts and mint; serve with yoghurt.
Pilaf is a cooked rice dish whose origins lie in the Middle East. It has always been popular in Central and Southern Asia, East Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. A variety of meats and vegetables can be added, depending on local cuisines and tastes, and the availability of ingredients. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019