- 1 1/2 cup (300g) basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lamb leg steaks (450g), sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (75g) coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 2 1/4 cup (560ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (35g) roasted unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup (280g) yoghurt
- 1Cover rice in a medium bowl with about 1 litre (4 cups) cold water; stand 30 minutes, drain well.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion in same pan, stirring, 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, bay leaves and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in rice. Add apricots and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, over low heat, 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4Stir lamb into pilaf; season to taste. Sprinkle with nuts and mint; serve with yoghurt.
Pilaf is a cooked rice dish whose origins lie in the Middle East. It has always been popular in Central and Southern Asia, East Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. A variety of meats and vegetables can be added, depending on local cuisines and tastes, and the availability of ingredients. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019