- 1 1/2 cup (300g) basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lamb leg steaks (450g), sliced thinly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (75g) coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 2 1/4 cup (560ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (35g) roasted unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup (280g) yoghurt
- 1Cover rice in a medium bowl with about 1 litre (4 cups) cold water; stand 30 minutes, drain well.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion in same pan, stirring, 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, ginger, bay leaves and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in rice. Add apricots and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, over low heat, 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 4Stir lamb into pilaf; season to taste. Sprinkle with nuts and mint; serve with yoghurt.
Pilaf is a cooked rice dish whose origins lie in the Middle East. It has always been popular in Central and Southern Asia, East Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. A variety of meats and vegetables can be added, depending on local cuisines and tastes, and the availability of ingredients. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021