- 150 gram butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 10 piece crystallised ginger, sliced
- 500 millilitre milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a muffin tray. Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes until pale and fluffy, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- 2Sift together flour, ginger and cinnamon. Stir baking soda into hot milk. Fold flour mixture into creamed mixture, alternating with the hot milk.
- 3Spoon into greased trays until two-thirds full. Top with a few slices of crystallised ginger and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and spongy.
- 4To make the custard, heat 400ml of the milk with the sugar and vanilla pod with its seeds, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 5Mix remaining milk with cornflour and yolk, stirring into hot milk. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring, until smooth. Serve puddings warm with custard.
These are a real winter treat and reheat well from frozen when you get a craving for something sweet and satisfying. If you’re not a ginger fan, replace the ground ginger with mixed spice and top each pudding with slices of peeled apple or tinned fruit such as apricots or peaches.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020