Looking for more Christmas cookies and biscuits?
Spiced Christmas biscuits
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 150 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup (110g) strawberry or raspberry jam, sieved
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) pure icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Spiced christmas biscuits
- 1Process flour, sugar, spices and butter until combined. Add egg yolk: process until combined. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Divide dough into quarters; roll each quarter between sheets of baking paper to 3mm thickness. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 4Cut 30 x 6.5cm squares from dough. Cut shapes from the centre of half of the squares. Place squares and cut-out biscuits on trays: bake for about 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool on trays.
- 5To make jam filling, sprinkle gelatine over water in a small cup or jug. Stand in a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until dissolved. Add jam to gelatine mixture; stir well.
- 6Turn square biscuits upside down so the flat side is facing up. Spread about 1 teaspoon of jam filling in the centre of each biscuit; top with the cut-out biscuits. Press lightly.
- 7To make icing, lightly beat the egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Beat in the sifted icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until combined. Stir in the juice. Keep the surface of the icing tightly covered when not in use. Place the icing in a disposable piping bag; snip a tiny amount from the tip of the bag. Drizzle half of the biscuits with icing; stand on wire racks until set.
Plain biscuits suitable to freeze. Jam filling suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Broccoli riceJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasToday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansToday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesToday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesYesterday 11:12pm
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustYesterday 10:43pm
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesYesterday 9:00pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast stuffed mushroomsYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato samosasYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast and brunch recipesYesterday 1:00pm