Spiced apple scones
- 3 1/2 cup (525g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
- 60 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (75g) finely chopped dried apple
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 1 tablespoon milk
Golden syrup butter
- 100 gram butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or treacle
Spiced apple scones
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm x 32cm rectangular cake pan.
- 2Sift flour, icing sugar and spices into large bowl; rub in butter. Add apple, buttermilk and the water. Use knife to cut buttermilk through the mixture to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead lightly until smooth.
- 3Press dough into an even 2cm thickness. Dip 5cm round cutter into flour; cut as many rounds as possible from dough. Place scones side by side, just touching, in pan.
- 4Gently knead scraps of dough together; repeat pressing and cutting of dough, place in pan. Brush tops with a little milk.
- 5Bake scones about 15 minutes.
- 6To make golden syrup butter; whisk ingredients in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- 7Serve hot scones with golden syrup butter.
These scones are at their very best made just before serving. Eat them hot, straight out of the oven.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021