- 500 gram spelt flour (see note)
- 10 gram salt
- 5 gram sugar
- 8 gram instant yeast (1 sachet)
- 250 millilitre warm water
- 1Place dry ingredients in a bowl, or food processor fitted with the dough attachment, and mix. Add just enough of the warm water (you may not need it all) to form a dough and knead for 1–2 minutes in the processor, or until springy and elastic if kneading by hand.
- 2Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a greased plastic bag and leave to rise until doubled in size (about 40 minutes).
- 3Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured board, flatten one half into a rectangle then tightly roll to form a long ‘sausage’ with tapered ends. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4Flour a linen tea towel (linen is stiffer and has a smoother texture than cotton) and place one of the loaves on the cloth, push up the fabric on either side to create a channel for the loaf (see photo, right). Place the second loaf alongside and do the same. Make four or five slashes in the top with a sharp blade (a razor blade is ideal).
- 5Leave to rise for 20 minutes until dough has risen but still has a little give in it. Preheat oven to 250°C.
- 6Gently ease loaves onto a baking sheet and place in the hot oven. Splash bottom of oven with ½ cup cold water, and set timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, rotate the tray, reduce the temperature to 200°C, splash in some more water and bake for a further 10 minutes until dark golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped on the bottom.
Organic spelt flour is available in most supermarkets and the non-organic variety can be found in many bulk goods suppliers.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019