- 30 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) italian arborio rice
- 2 litre (8 cups) milk
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 x 380g cans caramel filling
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1 cup (250ml) sweet sherry
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup (100g) flaked almonds, toasted
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir 2 minutes to coat well. Stir in milk, the water, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds; bring mixture to the boil.
- 2Meanwhile, spoon caramel into a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; whisk until smooth. Add rice mixture to caramel; whisk well to combine. Cover surface of pudding with baking paper. Cook, covered, on high, for about 2¼ hours, stirring twice during cooking, or until rice is tender and liquid thickened.
- 3Meanwhile, combine sultanas and sherry in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook mixture for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in orange rind and set aside until needed.
- 4Discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Serve rice pudding warm or chilled, topped with sherry sultana mixture and almonds.
Italian arborio rice from supermarkets will hold its shape better than locally grown arborio. Canned caramel filling is found in the baking aisle in supermarkets. Any sweet sherry is fine, however one of the nicest is Pedro Ximénez, a sweet dark sherry with a rich raisin-y taste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019