- 30 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) italian arborio rice
- 2 litre (8 cups) milk
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 x 380g cans caramel filling
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1 cup (250ml) sweet sherry
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup (100g) flaked almonds, toasted
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir 2 minutes to coat well. Stir in milk, the water, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds; bring mixture to the boil.
- 2Meanwhile, spoon caramel into a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; whisk until smooth. Add rice mixture to caramel; whisk well to combine. Cover surface of pudding with baking paper. Cook, covered, on high, for about 2¼ hours, stirring twice during cooking, or until rice is tender and liquid thickened.
- 3Meanwhile, combine sultanas and sherry in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook mixture for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in orange rind and set aside until needed.
- 4Discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Serve rice pudding warm or chilled, topped with sherry sultana mixture and almonds.
Italian arborio rice from supermarkets will hold its shape better than locally grown arborio. Canned caramel filling is found in the baking aisle in supermarkets. Any sweet sherry is fine, however one of the nicest is Pedro Ximénez, a sweet dark sherry with a rich raisin-y taste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceMar 21, 2019
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Chamomile honey cakeMar 07, 2019