- 30 gram butter
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) italian arborio rice
- 2 litre (8 cups) milk
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 x 380g cans caramel filling
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1 cup (250ml) sweet sherry
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup (100g) flaked almonds, toasted
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir 2 minutes to coat well. Stir in milk, the water, cinnamon, vanilla bean and seeds; bring mixture to the boil.
- 2Meanwhile, spoon caramel into a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; whisk until smooth. Add rice mixture to caramel; whisk well to combine. Cover surface of pudding with baking paper. Cook, covered, on high, for about 2¼ hours, stirring twice during cooking, or until rice is tender and liquid thickened.
- 3Meanwhile, combine sultanas and sherry in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook mixture for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in orange rind and set aside until needed.
- 4Discard cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Serve rice pudding warm or chilled, topped with sherry sultana mixture and almonds.
Italian arborio rice from supermarkets will hold its shape better than locally grown arborio. Canned caramel filling is found in the baking aisle in supermarkets. Any sweet sherry is fine, however one of the nicest is Pedro Ximénez, a sweet dark sherry with a rich raisin-y taste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019