Souvlaki is a Greek speciality: delectably tender meat skewers which have been marinated in a herb, lemon and olive oil mixture. Rigani (Greek oregano) is a stronger, sharper version of the herb we usually associate with Italian cooking, and is available from good delicatessens.
- 750 gram rump steak, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried rigani (greek oregano)
- 4 medium (300g) egg tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 2 (260g) lebanese cucumbers, chopped coarsely
- 1 small (100g) red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large (350g) green capsicum, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (80g) seeded kalamata olives
- 150 gram feta cheese, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
Souvlaki with greek salad
- 1Thread steak and onion alternately onto skewers; place souvlaki, in a single layer, in a large shallow dish. Combine oil, juice and rigani in a jug; pour over the souvlaki. Cover; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- 2For the Greek salad, combine the tomato, cucumber, sliced onion, capsicum, olives and cheese in a large bowl. Place remaining ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well. Pour dressing over the salad in bowl; toss gently to combine.
- 3Cook souvlaki, in batches, on a heated, oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) until browned all over and cooked as desired.
- 4Serve souvlaki and Greek salad with tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber salad), if desired.
Rigani, a stronger version of the Italian oregano, is available in good delicatessens. Souvlaki is best prepared a day ahead. Salad is best made close to serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Aromatic Vietnamese beef curryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chicken parmigianaYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 tantalising tiramisu recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious chicken drumstick recipe ideasYesterday 1:00pm
- Nutella TiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Pad ThaiYesterday 1:00pm
- Boston baked beansYesterday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesYesterday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesYesterday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceYesterday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesJan 26, 2021