- 12 extra large corn-fed chicken wings
- 8 litre peanut oil, to deep-fry
- 1 kilogram all purpose flour
- 50 gram coarsely ground black pepper
- 40 gram salt
- 20 gram cayenne pepper
- 10 gram celery salt
- 5 gram dried thyme
- 2 gram dried ground sage
- 2 litre buttermilk
- 25 gram fresh sage
- 25 gram fresh thyme
- 25 gram salt
Cayenne butter (optional)
- 50 gram cayenne pepper powder
- 200 gram whole butter, melted
Southern buttermilk fried chicken
- 1Make buttermilk mixture: combine all ingredients in a large pan; mix well.
- 2Add chicken wings to buttermilk mix and allow to soak, fully submerged, in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 3The following day, make flour mixture: combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- 4Heat peanut oil in deep-fryer to 155°C (use a probe or digital thermometer to ensure you have the exact measurement.)
- 5Pull a wing from the buttermilk mixture and drop into the flour mixture. Toss in flour until completely coated. Continue with rest of wings and allow to rest in mixture as you coat all wings.
- 6As soon as you've finished coating, take two wings and lightly beat them against each other to remove any excess flour.
- 7Slowly drop them into the oil (depending on the size of your deep-fryer, you might need to cook them in batches - it's important to not crowd the fryer).
- 8Give wings a light stir after 2 minutes (but don't touch them as this could crack off the crunchy skin). They will start to float after about 9 minutes - a good sign they are done. Use your probe thermometer to check the internal temperature is 85°C.
- 9Allow to drain on a wire rack or on paper towels. Serve immediately. To add extra spice, baste wings lightly with a cayenne butter (simply combine ingredients.)
Ensure your oil stays at 155°C while you are cooking. If it gets too hot, you will burn the outside, leaving the inside of the chicken raw. Chef Huja recommends serving your fried chicken with Southern corn bread, and crispy fries.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019