- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 kilogram pork neck (scotch)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 400 gram red cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 large beetroot (200g), peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup (80g) currants
- 3/4 cup (225g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 brioche buns, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 cup (280g) mild american mustard
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over high heat. Rub pork with garlic powder; season. Cook pork, in two batches if in two pieces, 2 minutes each side or until browned. Add stock; bring to the boil. Cover; cook in oven for 4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 3Meanwhile, make mustard barbecue sauce. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and chilli powder for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in mustard, sauces, the water and sugar; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season.
- 4Using two forks, shred pork into the cooking liquid. Discard any fatty pieces. Add 1½ cups of the mustard barbecue sauce to the shredded pork.
- 5Combine cabbage, beetroot, currants, mayonnaise, vinegar and the water in a large bowl. Season to taste.
- 6Fill brioche buns with pork and cabbage salad. Serve with remaining mustard barbecue sauce.
You could also use pork shoulder instead of pork neck (scotch). This recipe can be made to the end of step 3, up to a day ahead; refrigerate pork and sauce in separate airtight containers. Gently reheat pork before serving, adding a little extra stock if necessary to moisten it.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Piri piri chickenDec 02, 2021
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesDec 02, 2021
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeDec 02, 2021
- Chocolate fig panforteDec 02, 2021
- Christmas candy cane sliceDec 02, 2021
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021