- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 kilogram pork neck (scotch)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 400 gram red cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 large beetroot (200g), peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup (80g) currants
- 3/4 cup (225g) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 brioche buns, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 cup (280g) mild american mustard
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C.
- 2Heat oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over high heat. Rub pork with garlic powder; season. Cook pork, in two batches if in two pieces, 2 minutes each side or until browned. Add stock; bring to the boil. Cover; cook in oven for 4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 3Meanwhile, make mustard barbecue sauce. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and chilli powder for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in mustard, sauces, the water and sugar; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season.
- 4Using two forks, shred pork into the cooking liquid. Discard any fatty pieces. Add 1½ cups of the mustard barbecue sauce to the shredded pork.
- 5Combine cabbage, beetroot, currants, mayonnaise, vinegar and the water in a large bowl. Season to taste.
- 6Fill brioche buns with pork and cabbage salad. Serve with remaining mustard barbecue sauce.
You could also use pork shoulder instead of pork neck (scotch). This recipe can be made to the end of step 3, up to a day ahead; refrigerate pork and sauce in separate airtight containers. Gently reheat pork before serving, adding a little extra stock if necessary to moisten it.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019