- 3/4 cup (225g) mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (100g) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 8 uncooked small soft-shell crabs (500g)
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1Make green onion aioli. Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Combine flour, chilli and salt in a medium bowl.
- 3Clean crabs; pat dry then cut into quarters. Coat crab with flour mixture; shake off excess.
- 4Fill a wok or large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat over medium heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Deep-fry basil for 30 seconds or until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Deep-fry crab, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 5Serve crab with basil, aioli and lemon wedges, if you like.
To clean the soft shell crabs, lift back the flap on undersides and wipe clean with a damp piece of paper towel. Never wash seafood under a running tap as this will wash away the 'sea' flavour and waterlog the seafood. If you need to rinse, hold the seafood in one hand over the sink and use your other hand to gently splash the seafood with as little water as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesToday 1:55am
- Easy Spanish paella recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato Salad RecipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- Brilliant broccoli recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheYesterday 1:59am
- Classic sconesYesterday 1:35am
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 04, 2020