Smoky tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) loose tea leaves
- 1 kilogram ripe egg (plum) tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed lightbrown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
Smoky tomato sauce
- 1Line large wok with foil; place flour and tea leaves in base of wok. Heat wok over medium-high heat until smoke appears. Place half the tomatoes, skin-side up, on small oiled wire rack inside wok. Cover wok; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add all of the tomatoes and remaining ingredients; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes or until tomato softens and sauce is thick. Cool 15 minutes.
- 3Blend or process tomato mixture, in batches, until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into large bowl; discard solids. Return to pan; bring to the boil.
- 4Pour hot sauce into hot sterilised jars, seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
We used black tea leaves, but you could also use a smoky tea such as lapsang souchong. It's a good idea to do the smoking on the barbecue.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm