Smoky tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (40g) loose tea leaves
- 1 kilogram ripe egg (plum) tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 5 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed lightbrown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
Smoky tomato sauce
- 1Line large wok with foil; place flour and tea leaves in base of wok. Heat wok over medium-high heat until smoke appears. Place half the tomatoes, skin-side up, on small oiled wire rack inside wok. Cover wok; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add all of the tomatoes and remaining ingredients; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes or until tomato softens and sauce is thick. Cool 15 minutes.
- 3Blend or process tomato mixture, in batches, until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into large bowl; discard solids. Return to pan; bring to the boil.
- 4Pour hot sauce into hot sterilised jars, seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
We used black tea leaves, but you could also use a smoky tea such as lapsang souchong. It's a good idea to do the smoking on the barbecue.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020