- 1/2 teaspoon loosely packed saffron
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoon rice bran oil
- 1 small brown onion (80g), sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small red capsicum (150g), sliced thinly
- 100 gram extra lean minced (ground) beef
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (750g), chopped coarsely
- 1/2 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 100 gram baby spinach leaves
- 1 wholemeal pitta (85g), torn crossways
- 2 small eggs
- 1Combine saffron and the water in a small jug.
- 2Toast cumin seeds in a large deep dry frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant, remove from pan.
- 3Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic, capsicum and beef, stirring, for 5 minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender.
- 4Add saffron mixture, cumin, parsley, tomato, chilli and paprika to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened slightly. (If the mixture sticks to the pan while cooking, add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan to help stop the ingredients sticking.) Stir through half the spinach. Season with pepper to taste.
- 5Meanwhile, heat a grill pan (or grill or barbecue) over medium heat. Rub pitta with remaining oil on both sides; cook for 1 minute each side or until charred. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm.
- 6Make two indents in the hot tomato mixture with the back of a spoon. Break 1 egg into a cup, slide into indent. Repeat with remaining egg. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 4 minutes or until egg whites are set.
- 7Top with remaining spinach, serve with pitta.
Chipotle chilli with adobo sauce can be found in most good grocers and delicatessens. You can up the chilli for a little more heat or you can substitute chipotle chilli with 1 fresh long red chilli or ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes if you prefer. Prepare the recipe the day before up to the end of step 4, if you like; just before serving, reheat and continue from step 5.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022