- 5 small brussels sprouts (150g)
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 250 gram packet microwave brown medium-grain rice
- 1 whole hot-smoked trout (300g)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white (granulated) sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh chervil leaves, loosely packed
- 1Trim sprouts, remove outer leaves, reserve. Cut smaller sprouts into halves, cut larger sprouts into quarters.
- 2Cook sprouts in a large saucepan boiling water 1 minute, add leaves. Immediately drain into strainer, then plunge quickly into a large bowl of iced water, drain immediately. Dry bowl, return sprouts and leaves to bowl.
- 3Add onion to sprouts in bowl.
- 4Microwave rice according to directions on packet.
- 5Meanwhile, discard skin and bones from fish, flake flesh coarsely. Combine with rice.
- 6Place juice, oil and sugar in a screw-top jar, shake well. Add half to rice mixture, toss gently to combine.
- 7Serve trout and rice mixture with sprout mixture, sprinkle with chervil. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing.
Before starting the recipe, boil the kettle so you have boiling water ready to go into the saucepan to blanch the brussels sprout leaves. You need to plunge the leaves into iced water, so make sure you have some on hand. You could also use a portion of cold-smoked, boneless trout, if you prefer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022