- 1.5 kilogram lamb shoulder (with the shank on)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram potatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 4 drained anchovy fillets, chopped finely
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water or white wine
- 1Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Rub the lamb all over with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 2Heat a flameproof baking dish over a moderately high heat. Add the oil, then the lamb; cook until lamb is well browned all over. Turn off the heat and remove the lamb from baking dish.
- 3Layer the potato, onion and anchovies in the base of the same baking dish, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper between layers. Remove the papery skin from the garlic bulbs and cut them in half crossways. Place on the potatoes.
- 4Place the lamb on top of the potatoes; sprinkle the rosemary and lemon juice over the potatoes. Pour the combined stock and water over the potatoes. Cover the dish tightly with two layers of foil. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove foil, reduce oven temperature to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and roast for a further 2 hours or until the meat falls from the bone easily.
- 5Stand the lamb, covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsYesterday 12:54am
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019