- 1.5 kilogram lamb shoulder (with the shank on)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram potatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 4 drained anchovy fillets, chopped finely
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water or white wine
- 1Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Rub the lamb all over with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 2Heat a flameproof baking dish over a moderately high heat. Add the oil, then the lamb; cook until lamb is well browned all over. Turn off the heat and remove the lamb from baking dish.
- 3Layer the potato, onion and anchovies in the base of the same baking dish, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper between layers. Remove the papery skin from the garlic bulbs and cut them in half crossways. Place on the potatoes.
- 4Place the lamb on top of the potatoes; sprinkle the rosemary and lemon juice over the potatoes. Pour the combined stock and water over the potatoes. Cover the dish tightly with two layers of foil. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove foil, reduce oven temperature to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and roast for a further 2 hours or until the meat falls from the bone easily.
- 5Stand the lamb, covered with foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.