Slow-roasted lamb leg
- 3 kilogram leg of lamb
- 1 wedge of preserved lemon
- 2 medium brown onions, chopped coarsely
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 600 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (40g) currants
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup (45g) slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup loosely packed coriander leaves
- 80 gram persian feta
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 3/4 cup (120g) polenta
Slow-roasted lamb leg with soft polenta
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F.
- 2Trim excess fat from lamb, if necessary. Pull away flesh from preserved lemon; discard flesh. Rinse rind well, then chop finely. Combine rind with onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, currants and wine in a large oven bag.
- 3Combine spices in a small bowl. Rub oil all over lamb, then spice mixture; place lamb in oven bag. Place lamb in bag on a large oven tray. Seal the bag using the tie provided, then pierce five or six times near the top of the bag to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- 4Roast 5 hours or until lamb is very tender.
- 5Half an hour before serving, make soft polenta. Bring milk and garlic almost to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add polenta, whisking continuously. Stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until thickened; discard garlic. Season with salt. (Stir in extra milk if required for consistency.)
- 6Meanwhile, place nuts in a single layer on an oven tray; roast 8 minutes or until browned.
- 7Pull meat from lamb leg in large chunks. Divide polenta among shallow bowls, top with meat and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with nuts, coriander and drained feta.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Summer stone fruit pandoro puddingYesterday 9:22am
- Rosé and raspberry trifleYesterday 2:35am
- Salmon pastrami with yoghurt tartare and pickled cucumbersYesterday 1:07am
- Gingerbread gift boxesDec 12, 2019
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesDec 12, 2019
- DukkahDec 11, 2019
- Mocha mi suDec 11, 2019
- Santa saladDec 11, 2019
- Sausage rollsDec 11, 2019
- Crackling hamDec 11, 2019
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019
- Gingerbread christmas treesDec 10, 2019
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019