- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 2 large quinces (400g)
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 60 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon hazelnut meal
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1Place the sugar, honey, bay leaves, star anise and water in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- 2Peel quinces, cut into quarters or eighths depending on their size, and remove cores. Add quince to syrup; cook over medium heat until the syrup comes to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 3 hours 30 minutes or until quince is soft and rosy-coloured.
- 3To make filo fingers, preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place one sheet of pastry on a clean surface. Brush with a little butter; top with remaining sheet of pastry, brushing with more butter. Fold layered pastry in half crossways. Brush with butter; fold in half crossways again. Brush with a little more butter and sprinkle with half the hazelnut meal. Fold in half once more and brush with butter. Cut the rectangle into four long strips; place on the prepared tray. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make another four pastry fingers. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with sifted icing sugar.
- 4Serve quince and some of the poaching liquid with filo fingers and vanilla ice-cream, thickened cream or yoghurt, if desired.
If desired, poach extra quinces. Quinces and syrup can be stored in the fridge and served with porridge or muesli for breakfast. For a quick quince dessert, thinly slice the poached quince over puff pastry for a quick and tart or fold through a butter cake mixture for a rich twist on a tea-cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020
- Garlic beef stir-fryNov 23, 2020
- Easy recipes with leeksNov 23, 2020
- Fettuccine carbonaraNov 23, 2020