- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 2 large quinces (400g)
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 60 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon hazelnut meal
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1Place the sugar, honey, bay leaves, star anise and water in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- 2Peel quinces, cut into quarters or eighths depending on their size, and remove cores. Add quince to syrup; cook over medium heat until the syrup comes to a simmer. Simmer over low heat for 3 hours 30 minutes or until quince is soft and rosy-coloured.
- 3To make filo fingers, preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place one sheet of pastry on a clean surface. Brush with a little butter; top with remaining sheet of pastry, brushing with more butter. Fold layered pastry in half crossways. Brush with butter; fold in half crossways again. Brush with a little more butter and sprinkle with half the hazelnut meal. Fold in half once more and brush with butter. Cut the rectangle into four long strips; place on the prepared tray. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make another four pastry fingers. Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with sifted icing sugar.
- 4Serve quince and some of the poaching liquid with filo fingers and vanilla ice-cream, thickened cream or yoghurt, if desired.
If desired, poach extra quinces. Quinces and syrup can be stored in the fridge and served with porridge or muesli for breakfast. For a quick quince dessert, thinly slice the poached quince over puff pastry for a quick and tart or fold through a butter cake mixture for a rich twist on a tea-cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019
- Fettuccine carbonaraSep 05, 2019
- Easy four-cheese pieSep 05, 2019
- Sandwich ideas that are a little bit fancySep 05, 2019