- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 grams (13 ounce) canned crushed tomatoes
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups (500ml) water, approximately
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried small pasta tubes
- 150 grams (4½ ounces) green beans, trimmed, cut into 3cm (1¼-inch) lengths
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen green peas
- 1/4 small cabbage (300g), shredded finely
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup loosely packed small fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1Place garlic, onion, celery, carrot, stock, paste and tomatoes in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 6 hours.
- 2Add cannellini beans and enough of the water to make a thick soup consistency. Cook, covered, on low, for 2 hours. Season to taste.
- 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, adding green beans and peas for the last 2 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- 4Divide pasta, green beans, peas and cabbage among serving bowls; ladle soup mixture into bowls. Serve minestrone topped with parmesan and parsley.
Accompany with toasted crusty bread. Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019