- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 grams (13 ounce) canned crushed tomatoes
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups (500ml) water, approximately
- 3/4 cup (100g) dried small pasta tubes
- 150 grams (4½ ounces) green beans, trimmed, cut into 3cm (1¼-inch) lengths
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen green peas
- 1/4 small cabbage (300g), shredded finely
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup loosely packed small fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1Place garlic, onion, celery, carrot, stock, paste and tomatoes in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 6 hours.
- 2Add cannellini beans and enough of the water to make a thick soup consistency. Cook, covered, on low, for 2 hours. Season to taste.
- 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, adding green beans and peas for the last 2 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- 4Divide pasta, green beans, peas and cabbage among serving bowls; ladle soup mixture into bowls. Serve minestrone topped with parmesan and parsley.
Accompany with toasted crusty bread. Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022