- 6 piece veal osso buco (1.2kg), trimmed
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 gram butter
- 2 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup (125ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1Toss veal in flour to coat, shake off excess.
- 2Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan; cook veal, in batches, until browned all over. Transfer veal to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 3Add garlic and sage to same frying pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add vinegar; boil, uncovered, 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in stock. Transfer to cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 6 hours. Season to taste.
- 4Serve veal topped with some extra sage leaves.
Serve with mashed potato or soft polenta, and steamed green beans. You could use veal forequarter chops in this recipe. Use regular balsamic vinegar, not an aged vinegar or balsamic glaze. Complete recipe to the end of step 2. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021