- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) over-ripe roma (egg) tomatoes, cored
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (200g) drained roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh small basil leaves or micro basil
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons milk, approximately
- 1Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, chilli, celery and capsicum in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours.
- 2Cool soup for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Make basil dumpling mixture: Place flour in a medium bowl; using your fingertips, rub in butter. Stir in egg, pesto and enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 4Carefully drop level tablespoons of the basil dumpling mixture, about 2cm (¾-inch) apart, on top of soup. Cook, covered, on low, for 1 hour or until dumplings are firm to touch and cooked through.
- 5Serve soup with dumplings and sprinkled with basil. Top with halve mixed baby tomatoes, if you like.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeAug 13, 2020
- Lemon sand cakeAug 13, 2020
- Chocolate stout cakeAug 13, 2020
- Fruit spirals with white chocolate sauceAug 13, 2020
- Coconut & lemon curd cakeAug 13, 2020
- Delicious desserts with an easy biscuit crustAug 13, 2020
- Cherry, almond & brown butter cakeAug 13, 2020
- Chocolate, hazelnut & pear scrollsAug 13, 2020
- Easy loaf cake recipes for morning teaAug 12, 2020
- Our best Asian-inspired vegetarian recipesAug 12, 2020
- RatatouilleAug 12, 2020
- Sugar-free recipesAug 11, 2020
- Easy cheesecake slicesAug 11, 2020
- 20 traditional Australian recipesAug 11, 2020
- Dark and dreamy chocolate cakeAug 11, 2020