- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) over-ripe roma (egg) tomatoes, cored
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (200g) drained roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh small basil leaves or micro basil
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons milk, approximately
- 1Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, chilli, celery and capsicum in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours.
- 2Cool soup for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Make basil dumpling mixture: Place flour in a medium bowl; using your fingertips, rub in butter. Stir in egg, pesto and enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 4Carefully drop level tablespoons of the basil dumpling mixture, about 2cm (¾-inch) apart, on top of soup. Cook, covered, on low, for 1 hour or until dumplings are firm to touch and cooked through.
- 5Serve soup with dumplings and sprinkled with basil. Top with halve mixed baby tomatoes, if you like.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blackberry parfaitToday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesYesterday 11:15pm
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019