- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) over-ripe roma (egg) tomatoes, cored
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (200g) drained roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh small basil leaves or micro basil
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons milk, approximately
- 1Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, chilli, celery and capsicum in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours.
- 2Cool soup for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Make basil dumpling mixture: Place flour in a medium bowl; using your fingertips, rub in butter. Stir in egg, pesto and enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 4Carefully drop level tablespoons of the basil dumpling mixture, about 2cm (¾-inch) apart, on top of soup. Cook, covered, on low, for 1 hour or until dumplings are firm to touch and cooked through.
- 5Serve soup with dumplings and sprinkled with basil. Top with halve mixed baby tomatoes, if you like.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Perfect potato saladNov 15, 2019
- Banoffee pieNov 14, 2019
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsNov 14, 2019
- Classic Christmas trifleNov 14, 2019
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingNov 14, 2019
- White ChristmasNov 13, 2019
- How to make an easy gingerbread houseNov 13, 2019
- How to make basic sconesNov 13, 2019
- Caesar saladNov 13, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladNov 13, 2019
- Meatloaf recipe - classicNov 13, 2019
- Lemon meringue pieNov 13, 2019
- How to make a towering pavlova Christmas treeNov 13, 2019
- Curried sausagesNov 13, 2019
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesNov 12, 2019