- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) over-ripe roma (egg) tomatoes, cored
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (200g) drained roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh small basil leaves or micro basil
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons milk, approximately
- 1Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, chilli, celery and capsicum in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours.
- 2Cool soup for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Make basil dumpling mixture: Place flour in a medium bowl; using your fingertips, rub in butter. Stir in egg, pesto and enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 4Carefully drop level tablespoons of the basil dumpling mixture, about 2cm (¾-inch) apart, on top of soup. Cook, covered, on low, for 1 hour or until dumplings are firm to touch and cooked through.
- 5Serve soup with dumplings and sprinkled with basil. Top with halve mixed baby tomatoes, if you like.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021