- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) over-ripe roma (egg) tomatoes, cored
- 400 grams (12½ ounces) canned whole tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), quartered
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup (200g) drained roasted red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh small basil leaves or micro basil
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons milk, approximately
- 1Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, chilli, celery and capsicum in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 7 hours.
- 2Cool soup for 10 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Make basil dumpling mixture: Place flour in a medium bowl; using your fingertips, rub in butter. Stir in egg, pesto and enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough.
- 4Carefully drop level tablespoons of the basil dumpling mixture, about 2cm (¾-inch) apart, on top of soup. Cook, covered, on low, for 1 hour or until dumplings are firm to touch and cooked through.
- 5Serve soup with dumplings and sprinkled with basil. Top with halve mixed baby tomatoes, if you like.
Suitable to freeze at the end of step 2.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019