- 2 kilogram boned pork shoulder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 gram pitted prunes
- 2 medium brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) port
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme sprigs, extra
- 1Season pork generously with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook pork, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; top pork with prunes.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and thyme, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- 4Add port and stock to pan, stirring to combine; bring to the boil. Pour mixture over pork in cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 5Carefully remove pork and half the prunes (preferably any whole ones); cover to keep warm. Strain cooking liquid into a large bowl; reserve solids, but discard thyme. Blend or process solids until smooth. Stir pureed onion mixture into cooking liquid until sauce thickens (you may not need to use all the onion mixture).
- 6Serve sliced pork with prunes; drizzle with sauce and top with extra thyme sprigs.
Adding the prunes to the cooker on top of the pork means they will have a better chance of staying whole as they’re not squashed under the pork. You could use a tawny or ruby port in this recipe. Sherry will add a different flavour, but would also work well.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021