- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4 kilogram lamb shoulder
- 1 kilogram red- and white-skinned baby potatoes
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rigani (see tips) or dried oregano
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook lamb, turning, for 20 minutes or until well browned.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on Sauté (Medium) setting; cook potatoes, onion, bay leaves and cinnamon, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned.
- 3Place lamb on top of potatoes in cooker. Combine wine, stock, rind, juice, rigani and garlic in a small jug; pour over lamb. Cook, covered, on Low, for 9 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- 4Serve lamb with potatoes and a little cooking liquid. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, you may be able to brown the lamb in the cooker for Step 1, if you prefer. Rigani is Greek-style dried oregano and is available from specialty food stores and delicatessens. You can use dried oregano instead. Accompany the lamb with a Greek salad or steamed continental beans and lemon halves, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeYesterday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019