- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4 kilogram lamb shoulder
- 1 kilogram red- and white-skinned baby potatoes
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rigani (see tips) or dried oregano
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook lamb, turning, for 20 minutes or until well browned.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on Sauté (Medium) setting; cook potatoes, onion, bay leaves and cinnamon, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned.
- 3Place lamb on top of potatoes in cooker. Combine wine, stock, rind, juice, rigani and garlic in a small jug; pour over lamb. Cook, covered, on Low, for 9 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- 4Serve lamb with potatoes and a little cooking liquid. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, you may be able to brown the lamb in the cooker for Step 1, if you prefer. Rigani is Greek-style dried oregano and is available from specialty food stores and delicatessens. You can use dried oregano instead. Accompany the lamb with a Greek salad or steamed continental beans and lemon halves, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladYesterday 11:40pm
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019