- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4 kilogram lamb shoulder
- 1 kilogram red- and white-skinned baby potatoes
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rigani (see tips) or dried oregano
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook lamb, turning, for 20 minutes or until well browned.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on Sauté (Medium) setting; cook potatoes, onion, bay leaves and cinnamon, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned.
- 3Place lamb on top of potatoes in cooker. Combine wine, stock, rind, juice, rigani and garlic in a small jug; pour over lamb. Cook, covered, on Low, for 9 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- 4Serve lamb with potatoes and a little cooking liquid. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, you may be able to brown the lamb in the cooker for Step 1, if you prefer. Rigani is Greek-style dried oregano and is available from specialty food stores and delicatessens. You can use dried oregano instead. Accompany the lamb with a Greek salad or steamed continental beans and lemon halves, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019