- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4 kilogram lamb shoulder
- 1 kilogram red- and white-skinned baby potatoes
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, sliced thinly
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rigani (see tips) or dried oregano
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook lamb, turning, for 20 minutes or until well browned.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker on Sauté (Medium) setting; cook potatoes, onion, bay leaves and cinnamon, stirring, for 10 minutes or until browned.
- 3Place lamb on top of potatoes in cooker. Combine wine, stock, rind, juice, rigani and garlic in a small jug; pour over lamb. Cook, covered, on Low, for 9 hours or until meat is falling off the bone.
- 4Serve lamb with potatoes and a little cooking liquid. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Depending on the size and shape of your slow cooker, you may be able to brown the lamb in the cooker for Step 1, if you prefer. Rigani is Greek-style dried oregano and is available from specialty food stores and delicatessens. You can use dried oregano instead. Accompany the lamb with a Greek salad or steamed continental beans and lemon halves, if desired.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingJun 02, 2020
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingJun 02, 2020
- Jam roll puddingJun 02, 2020
- Hungarian goulashJun 02, 2020
- Tasty tagine recipesJun 02, 2020
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 02, 2020
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020
- Pumpkin sconesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020