- 100 gram piece speck
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 thick pork sausages (360g)
- 900 gram boned lamb shoulder, chopped coarsely
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 800 gram canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 400g canned white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Discard the rind from the speck. Cut speck into 3cm pieces.
- 2Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat; cook sausages and speck, turning, until browned all over. Transfer to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 3Cook lamb in same frying pan, in batches, over medium-high heat, until browned all over. Transfer to cooker. Drain fat from pan.
- 4Heat remaining oil in same frying pan over medium heat; cook onion and bay leaf, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to cooker.
- 5Add tomatoes, paste, beans and the water to cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 6Just before serving, sprinkle cassoulet with parsley and, if you like, lightly toasted breadcrumbs.
There are many regional variations of cassoulet in France. For special occasions, you could add two confit duck marylands. Pan fry them until hot and browned all over, then place on top of the hot cassoulet before sprinkling with the parsley. Complete recipe to the end of step 5. Pack into freezer-proof containers, leaving a 2.5cm space to allow for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan or microwave on medium power (50%) until heated through, then continue from step 6.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020